NEW from My Eco Space Group Ltd, Rhino Gyms with Impact Zone Technology - Enquire Now

The A-Z Glossary For Garden Rooms, Offices & Gyms

Sep 29, 2020 | Helpful Guides | 0 comments

Garden rooms have become an extremely popular option when looking to add space to a home. If you’re in the process of considering, you may be doing quite a bit of research such as the types of garden rooms, information on planning permission, and more.

Have you come across words and terms that are unfamiliar? If so, you’re not alone! It can be overwhelming to all of a sudden become inundated with construction and building terms. For this reason, we’ve created a glossary of some of the most common terms used for garden room home additions.

The Difference Between a Garden Room and an Orangery

First, we’ll start out by looking at the difference between a garden room and an orangery. Do you know the differences between these terms?

Orangery: these were once literally rooms built to grow orange trees, back in the 17th to 19th centuries. These days, however, this is a building constructed with semi-glazed walls, and a roof that has a “lantern” built on top of flat area of the roof. The lantern’s job is to let more natural light into the room. While these rooms don’t include as much glazing as a conservatory, the space is meant to be both light and airy.

Conservatory: this is a room built mostly of glazing. They tend to end up being very hot and stuffy in the summer, and too cold in the winter. Even so, there are ways to overcome these issues by improving circulation of air inside with roof vents, the addition of underfloor heating and solar control glazing to make the room cooler in summer.

Garden room: is usually similar to an orangery and uses semi-glazed walls. However, the roof is usually made of tiles, unlike an orangery. The garden room may also be built to match a home’s architectural style, unlike an orangery or a conservatory.

So, these are the differences between some of the most common types of buildings added to a garden! Now, let’s get started on the glossary!

A-Z Glossary Terms for Garden Rooms

Accoya: this is a high technology wood that’s very popular around the world. It’s created from wood that is sustainable, making this a great option for people who would like to focus on using green materials in their garden room construction. The timber matches tropical hardwoods when it comes to stability, beauty, and durability.

Argon: is a type of dense gas that fills the space between double glazed windows. The gas makes the windows extremely energy efficient, making them a great choice for anyone looking to save energy and have a greener footprint with their garden room addition.

Bi-fold doors: these are doors that open outwards, and they’re made with a number of door pieces, or leaves, which stack up with one another when the door is opened. You may also see these doors referred to as folding and stacking doors, or folding sliding doors.

Bottom rail: this is the horizontal rail found at the bottom of a window. It has a drip bead, which hangs over to make sure no water leaks through into the room.

Bolection mould: a decorative moulding that is used on doors that stand out from a panel or frame. The purpose of the moulding is to beautify the door and bottom panels on French doors.

Capping system: is vinyl or aluminium sheeting that’s used to keep water and weather from damaging wood and other materials used to build a structure. You may see this referred to as cladding—window cladding or door cladding.

Cornice: decorative moulding used on windows and doors.

Cupola: this is a hollow frame that stand up off the roof of a building. It can be used to add more light to a space, while adding some decoration to the outside.

Double-hung sash windows: is the term used for two sash windows that sit in one frame. These windows are independent of one another and can go up or down.

Draught gasket: this may be made of rubber or other material and is used around windows to keep out draughts. You may also see these referred to as a window gasket or weather draught seal.

Espagnolette locking system: this is a type of lock that’s mounted on a vertical frame. These are used in French doors or casement windows.

FSC: this abbreviation refers to a global certification system, which allows businesses and consumers to use sustainable timber products. The system can track where the timber was sourced, how that forest was managed, and can trace the timber from the sourcing point to when it’s used in construction.

Gunstock stile: this a type of door panel that includes a glazed panel near the top section of the door. The stiles on each side of the door become narrower from the top of the door to the middle rail. In addition, the stiles resemble the shape of a gun stock.

Glazing bead: is a convex silicon molding that is nailed to the edge of a pane of glass and hold it in place, which is also used to make the window watertight.

Hip rafter: this is the diagonal rafter that goes across the ridge at the top down to the corners of the roof.

Jamb: a post at the side of a casement window.

Kingpin: a section of a roof lantern that’s made from a laminated timber section. This is used to connect the hip rafters to the ridge.

Low E coating: this is a type of protection that’s used to reduce the amount of UV and IF light that can go through glass. It works to shift the heat away from the glass and into the air.

Raised and fielded panel: this is a decorative panel that has grooved edges, which has a moulded element added to it. These are used for entrance doors.

Staff bread: this is term may make you think of food; however, in construction this term is the name of detailed trim that is used to frame the sash box and keeps the sashes in the sash box.

Teknos: a brand of pain that is microporous, which is used to improve the life of timber products.

U-values: a number that refers to the energy efficiency of a door or window. The higher the number, the lower the efficiency.

Warm edge spacer bar: this is insulation that is used on the edges of a window to keep the glass from coming together. This is also used to reduce heat loss in a space.

Add up to 15% to your property value and take advantage of deductible finance options

Contact us today to discuss your project in more detail!